Bayfront Migrant IU5/ESD Summer Program
We had a wonderful summer program this year! We served 89 students, including sons and daughters of migrant workers and English Language Learners. The five week program began on June 17, 2013 and ran through July 19, 2013.
The summer program began in 1999 at the Bayfront Maritime Center’s waterfront campus. It is tailored to migrant students and students with little to no English proficiency. Children learn language arts through hands-on maritime based science, technology, engineering, arts and math, STEAM subjects. Participating students learn how to read a nautical chart, handle a variety of vessels on the water, identify parts of a boat, and interpret weather forecasts and conditions. Students also use a Global Positioning System (GPS) and build underwater Remote Operating Vehicles (ROVs).
Classes include Perch Fishing on Lake Erie, Math and Computer Skills, Language Arts and Literacy, Canoeing and Kayaking, Art, Culture, The Boat Shop, Water Safety and Wellness Activities. Enrichment activities include the Edinboro University’s Graduate Reading Specialist Program that provides individualized instruction for eligible students as they participate in a two week reading clinic that is held on site. Middle School students also have an opportunity to participate in a week long statewide video conference “Write Now!” instructed by a prominent poet from Texas. This class encourages students to put “pen to paper” to express their ideas creatively through poetry.
The United States Department of Education recognized the Erie School District, the Bayfront Maritime Center, the Pennsylvania Department of Migrant Education, and the Northwest Pennsylvania Tri-County Intermediate Unit for their joint summer program, during the department’s Office of Migrant Education Conference in Nashville November 14-17, 2011.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Migrant Education Program won the 2011 Excellence in Summer Learning Award from the National Summer Learning Association.
For the past fourteen years, the Bayfront Migrant Summer Program has provided enrichment opportunities for students throughout the area. Due to our partnership with the School District of the City of Erie and their ESL (English as a Second Language) Program, we serve more students than ever.
Students experienced building with a ShopBot, a digital fabrication machine. Harold Rinn built a set of interlocking building blocks with the kids and many children designed and carved a wooden plaque with his or her name on it.
“I’m Dinesh. I’m 15 years old. I’m from Nepal. Everyone in my family speaks Nepali language. I have been in the USA for about two years. I like this country. When I came to the USA I was in 7th grade. I was scared when I first go to school because I saw nobody that I knew from Nepal. Now I feel good because I have many friends from my country and have many new friends from the US and other countries.”
“My name is Brian. I am in the 5th grade and I am 11 years old. I go to Pfeiffer Burleigh School. I am from Mexico. I like to play soccer with my dad. My dad works on a farm. He drives tractors and my mom works where strawberries come from. My favorite sport is soccer. I love to be goalie. I’ve been coming the Bayfront Program for 3 years. My favorite food is tacos de choreso. My favorite subject is soccer.”
Faculty and Staff
- Ms. Carmen Medina, Department of Education – Migrant Division
- Dr. Carol Bagley, IU5 Supervisor
- Mr. Richard Eisenberg, BMC Executive Director
- Mrs. Della Gentile, IU5 Director
- Mr. John Dahlstrand, School District – City of Erie
- Ms. Linda Cappabianca, Edinboro University
- Mr. Steve Huefner, Math Instructor
- Mr. Dan Walsh, Language Arts Instructor
- Ms. Mary Williams, Language Arts and Math Instructor
- Ms. Rachel Dahlstrand, Math Instructor
- Ms. Cassandra Reese, Art Instructor
- Ms. Damaris Henry, Migrant Education Coordinator
- Mr. Deke Showman, Recruitment Coordinator
- Ms. Anna Marucci, Data Specialist/Clerical Support
- Mr. Nick Rinn, Sailing Instructor
- Mr. Harold Rinn, Maritime Studies
- Mr. John Stanford, Maritime Studies
- Mr. Vince Nientemp, Sailing Instructor
- Ms. Jodi Carpenter, Maritime Studies
- Ms. Amy Eisenberg, BMC Executive Assistant
- Ms. Lauren Moss, AmeriCorps VISTA 2012-2013
- Mr. Gene Polaski
- Ms. Hannah Marchant