Every ship needs a great crew, and the Bayfront Maritime Center is a success because of its great volunteers. BMC is always seeking volunteers who are passionate about our mission to provide hands-on, engaging programming that produces extraordinary results.
BMC needs volunteers who:
- Want to help out with Project SAIL, our after-school program for teens 15-18. Boat building, field trips, and sailing are just some of the ways Project SAIL apprentices learn. Many of our past apprentices did not speak English as their native language, so volunteers able to speak another language would be a major asset. Project SAIL has three sessions during the year, which run from 3:30-5:30 P.M., Monday-Thursday.
- Are interested in working in the boat shop. Ideal volunteers have woodworking, boat building, and/or tool maintenance skills, and are willing to work with their hands. This would be a fantastic opportunity for a skilled volunteer to get experience and learn from our incredibly gifted Maritime Educators.
- Enjoy working outdoors, gardening, and doing yard-work. BMC is located directly on Lake Erie’s gorgeous Bayfront, and keeping our waterfront campus shipshape is always a priority.
- Spend their summer in Erie, and would want to help out with BMC’s summer programs. The Erie Adaptive Sailing (EASE) program is the only one of its kind in Pennsylvania and is entirely volunteer-run.
- Whiz through office tasks, and enjoy being involved with the hustle-and-bustle of managing a non-profit. Current or retired business or grant-writing professionals would be able to assist BMC in pursuing and maintaining funding for BMC’s programming.
- Revel in being part of BMC’s special events, e.g. Ales for Sails, BMC’s annual winter celebration that will be held on February 10, 2017, or the 8th Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta, which will be held August 18, 2017. These are opportunities for BMC to give back to the community, and are always lively occasions. Special event volunteers do not need clearances to volunteer at events.
- Think they can help out in a way not listed above!
Skilled volunteers assisting in activities allow BMC to expand and improve in ways it normally could not. If you’re interested in volunteering, please complete the online form or download the volunteer packet and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to BMC at 40 Holland St., Erie, PA,16507. We look forward to hearing from you.
Thank You Volunteers!
Boat Shop Volunteers
Computer and Information Technology Assistance